I won’t pretend that I am a gourmet or anything, but I do enjoy cooking. To make being in the kitchen more efficient, pleasurable, and successful I try to keep things neat and organized. When I go look for my favorite gadget or knife, I want it to be in it’s spot.
A place for everything and everything in its place.
Also, I feel it’s important to have the right tool for the job…that’s not to say you have to buy every gadget and gizmo out there. I mean, I certainly don’t have the space to store a tea maker and I don’t know how often I would really use a presto pizza cooker. Mechanical egg separators seem a little over the top and I can manage without an avocado slicer.
So, here is my TOP TEN of kitchen gadgets…these are the things I reach for over and over and make my life easier when it comes to preparing food and cooking. My “can’t live without it” products… (in no particular order)
1. SALAD SPINNER– Before I had one I would not have thought it a necessity, but now that I do, I am hooked. I am on my second salad spinner. I first got a cheap, crank version at Walmart a few years ago just to try it out. I loved it and it worked well! But, it was a lot of work and since it had holes in the bottom it would leave moisture on the fridge shelf. I upgraded to a pull-cord version from Kohls and it is the best thing ever! Lettuce stays fresh much, much longer than keeping it out or even in one of those green bags (I have tried those and I am not too impressed). I could not find my exact salad spinner on the ‘net, but here is one very similar.
2. STAINLESS STEEL SANTOKU KNIFE–Mine is by KitchenAid and I received it for a gift two Christmases ago. I use this knife several times a day…because I am constantly using it and washing it, it pretty much just stays in the drying rack. If you don’t have a good knife, I urge you to get one, it will change your life. I really notice this when I am at someone’s house who doesn’t have a good knife…cutting and chopping can be torture!
3. BAMBOO TONGS— I have these tongs from Pampered Chef and they are so versatile. I use them the most for grabbing things out of the toaster oven, but I like using them for serving, too. Great for salads, bread, etc. They fold flat for easy storage and are very durable.
4. 3-in1 BERRY BOWL— I bought this on a whim at Sprouts one day…I think I paid about $5 for it (it’s much higher on the manufacturer’s website). It is such a great product and it is in constant use at our house. In fact, I really need more than one! The bowl has a colander inside and is intended for the storage of berries/fruits. Using this bowl really does help fruit (especially strawberries and blueberries) last longer, much like a salad spinner. I have it in red.
5. PREMIER FOOD STORAGE BY RUBBERMAID— The name really does say it all. These are, hands down, the best food storage containers I have ever owned. I am slowly building my collection (they aren’t cheap!).
To be continued…