I concocted this recipe from inspiration from several recipes. I have had a few people ask me for it, so here it is…
Black Bean & Chicken Enchiladas
2 Large, Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts
2 Cans of Black Beans, Drained & Rinsed
1 Can Mexican Rotel (or whichever you prefer)
8 oz Plain Yogurt
2 Cans of Cream of Chicken & Mushroom Soup (if you can not find this, Cream of Chicken or 1 Cream of Mushroom and 1 Cream of Chicken will work)
About 1-2 Cups of Chicken Broth
Shredded Cheese (Colby Jack or Cheddar will work)
20 Corn Tortillas
Seasoning (Taco Seasoning, Cumin, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes…all to taste and depends on what you like)
- Sprinkle some taco seasoning on chicken breast and bake until done.
- Meanwhile: Mix soup, yogurt, Rotel, and broth (about a half cup to start) to make sauce.
- Drain and rinse black beans and put in separate bowl.
- When chicken is done, cut/shred in small pieces and add to beans.
- Spoon sauce a little at a time in bean and chicken mixture until covered. At this point you may want to add a little more chicken broth to the filling mixture.
- Scoop mixture into tortillas, roll, and place seam side down in sprayed casserole dish.
- Cover with remaining sauce (depending on how much sauce you used for the filling, you may need to add more chicken broth to your remaining sauce to make it go farther).
- Now I usually sprinkle on some cumin, red pepper flakes, and freshly ground pepper–this is optional.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
**Note: This recipe actually makes TWO casserole pans of enchiladas. To make only one dish, half ingredients or freeze your filling and sauce for another time.
**Disclaimer: As you can see from my recipe, I am not “married” to recipes, so to speak. Sometimes I use different soups, cheeses, etc depending on what I have and I don’t typically measure things or follow recipes exactly. That is why this recipe is not so exact. So, let me know if you have any questions. 🙂